IV, Oral, and Nitrous Oxide Sedation Dentistry
“Dental phobia” is not an uncommon occurrence. According to the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS Education), around 30 percent of the population steer clear of dentistry because of fear and anxiety. This apprehension may cause some to bypass important dental care, which can lead to serious oral health issues.
If you suffer from this “dental phobia,” fear no more. Your Wildwood dentist offers several forms of sedation dentistry to ease your anxiety. My Wildwood Dentist’s compassionate and attentive care will allow you to relax in comfort as your dental needs are met.
Intravenous (IV) Sedation
IV sedation is a safe, comfortable procedure ideal for patients with moderate to high levels of anxiety, especially with those who have a phobia of dental injections.
- An anxiety-reducing medication is administered by an intravenous line, placing you into a calm, relaxed state
- You will not be asleep, and will still have verbal and physical response capabilities
- While the team at My Wildwood Dentist provides their exceptional dental treatment, you remain stress-free and have little memory of the procedure
Now one of the most popular anesthetic procedures used, oral sedation provides a safe, convenient way to create a comfortable dental experience with no needle use required.
- You simply take a prescribed medication about one hour before your appointment at My Wildwood Dentist
- Once your treatment begins, you slip into and remain in a tranquil state until the treatment is finished, remembering little of what happened
Probably the most common form of sedation dentistry, nitrous oxide or “laughing gas” is a terrific way to remove patient anxiety and offer a peaceful dental visit. In this process:
- An inhaler which releases the gas is placed over your nose.
- Within a few moments, you will experience a serene feeling which will continue throughout the procedure until the gas is removed.
- Afterwards, these effects disappear quickly and you can resume your normal activity.